Thursday, January 1, 2009

Year End Assessment

Like most people, I’ve been thinking about last year, what was good and what didn’t work so well, the things I really appreciated and what I’ll try to do differently this year. I don't make resolutions anymore, but here are some things I'll keep in mind for 2009.

We spent a lot of time on our yard last year because we were hosting a big party for a bride. I’m happy we did it, and actually would love to do it again for our own pleasure, providing our bank account and our backs hold up. The pay off for the time and money spent was magnificent.

I spent an inordinate amount of time listening to the political pundits last year, partly because I was so wishy washy about deciding who to vote for. I won’t do that this year, but I will still read our local paper, at least until they discontinue the print edition, which may actually happen this year. I’ll turn to the online New York Times or a good book when I’m bored this year, not MSNBC or Cube Crashers as I did last year.

I enjoyed the few times we “entertained” last year, even if it was just sharing take out with a few friends. I hope I’ll do more of that, and maybe take it up a notch this year. I hope not to let my concern for how I do it overshadow the more important fact that I do it at all. Whether it’s family or friends, or perhaps someone totally random, just the connection is the main thing.

I listened to Walker more and perhaps lectured him less last year; I’ve praised him a whole lot more than fussed at him. I think I should maybe do the same with my husband next year. I think he’ll have to learn that I don’t need to know how to build a clock when I ask the time of day, though, or I won’t be able to follow through on that one.

I didn’t go to church much last year for some reasons I’m still not ready to acknowledge even to myself. I prayed more than usual, though, which leads me to believe that my faith has survived outside the building I once loved so. I think I got an overdose of religion in the year following 9/11, and I have since developed a healthy respect for all religions and and their beliefs that call them to be decent human beings. I hope the day arrives this year when most of them realize that being a decent human being doesn’t ever involve violence against another.

I read less and wrote more this year. I don’t know whether this is a good or a bad thing, but the notes I’ve gotten from some of my faithful readers lead me to believe that I should keep it up, at least when I have something to say.

I plan to be more honest about my own preferences, when I have them, this year. I might not be seen as being quite so agreeable as in the past, but I won’t feel like such a pushover either.

I hope I’ll continue to recognize the things that stress me out, and just say no…something I’ve gotten better with as I’ve aged.

I hope I’ll reread this from time to time to see how I’m doing. I hope you’ll keep reading too.
Blessings,
Janie

No comments: