Thursday, July 31, 2008

Summer Bounty


Sometimes I forget to be thankful for all that I have and just notice what’s missing. When it irritates my husband and he complains about my ungratefulness, my answer is that you don’t make a list of what you have in the fridge, just what’s all gone or needs replacing. I don’t know that that makes him feel any better about my seemingly constant assessments and lists of needs, most of which involve some labor on his part, but that’s just the way I tend to see the situation.

Today, I’m going to try to just look at what’s in the fridge not what’s missing.

We have enough chocolate milk to keep Walker and the grandkids happy and plenty of tomatoes from the small garden in the back yard because the critters have been eating my plants instead of tomatoes this year. We have lots of corn in the freezer, and the mess of preparing it is all over for the season; ditto butterpeas. Note to self…we are out of lettuce, so no BLT’s today. We have assorted leftovers instead!

I have a date with a friend for dinner tonight, so the boys are on their own with those leftovers. Thank goodness, they never complain.

We got some better news on Geoffery today. He began the regimen of oral chemo and seems to be tolerating it well so far. He is described as just seeming better and more like himself. We can all thank God for the medical advances that makes this treatment possible. I just love it when morning brings good news.

Little John and I played a few computer games this morning, making him less unhappy about being babysat as a result. I’m glad I’m savvy enough not to let a five year old beat me too badly at Luigi and Cube Crasher.

We will probably get a little rain in the next twenty four hours, and my plants will be happier.

Somehow, that miserable cold has cleared up at long last, and it took my achy knees with it.

I hope I remember to appreciate what I have and focus less on what’s missing today.

Blessings,
Janie

No comments: